Hurricane season begins in less than one month, June 1. Homeowners, renters and business owners should prepare now.
Two hurricanes have struck in North Carolina in the past three years. Survivors of these storms learned first-hand about the dangers of flooding, heavy rainfall and storm surge.
Take action now:
- Know your risk. Visit FEMA’s Flood Map Service Center to learn your risk of flooding.
- Stay informed. Download an emergency weather app on your phone. Purchase a weather radio.
- Plan to evacuate. Know your community’s evacuation plan, evacuation routes and how to receive alerts.
- Build an emergency kit. Keep it ready at home, at work and in the car.
- Buy flood insurance. Most home insurance policies do not cover flooding. National Flood Insurance Program policies take 30 days from the date of purchase to go into effect. To learn more about protecting your home, visit FloodSmart.gov.
- Protect your documents. Keep computers and important documents in a waterproof container. Remember to create password-protected digital copies.
- Protect your property. Move valuables to higher levels.