Lifestyle

Woman in texting suicide case waives right to jury trial

FILE – In this Oct. 14, 2016, file photo, defendant Michelle Carter is seated inside Taunton Juvenile Court during a pretrial hearing in Taunton, Mass. Jury selection is set to begin Monday, June 5, 2017, in the trial of Carter who is accused of sending her boyfriend dozens of text messages encouraging him to kill himself. (Patrick Whittemore/The Boston Herald via AP, Pool, File)

TAUNTON, Mass. (AP) — The Massachusetts woman charged with manslaughter for sending her boyfriend text messages encouraging him to kill himself has waived her right to a jury trial.

Michelle Carter’s decision Monday means a judge will hear the testimony and issue the verdict. Opening statements are scheduled to begin Tuesday.

The 20-year-old Carter is charged in the 2014 death of 18-year-old Conrad Roy III. Roy was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in his pickup truck.

Prosecutors released transcripts of text messages the then-17-year-old Carter sent to Roy. In one, she allegedly wrote: “The time is right and you’re ready, you just need to do it!”

Carter’s lawyer has said the texts are protected free speech. He’s also said Roy was depressed and previously tried to take his own life.

Advertisements