Business / Celebrities / National / Politics / TV

Fox News lets Bill O’Reilly go

FILE – In this Oct. 1, 2015 file photo, host Bill O’Reilly of “The O’Reilly Factor” on the Fox News Channel, poses for photos in the set in New York. O’Reilly has lost his job at Fox News Channel following reports that five women had been paid millions of dollars to keep quiet about harassment allegations. 21st Century Fox issued a statement Wednesday that “after a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)

by Keona Frasier

Political Commentator Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to Fox News to host “The O’Reilly Factor.” O’Reilly’s departure came amidst allegations of sexual harassment.

O’Reilly’s long running career with Fox News started in 1996. He is well-known for his conservative views and combative commentary. The program garnered a considerable number of viewers for the network. “The O’Reilly Factor” reigned as the top cable news program. Fox recognized that O’Reilly was a great asset to the network in their statement regarding his release from the network.

“By rating standards, Bill O’Reilly is one of the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news. In fact, his success by any measure is indisputable,” said Fox News.

A disclosure of multiple sexual harassment allegations preceded O’Reilly’s departure. The New York Times published an article in April, revealing that O’Reilly and Fox paid settlements in the past to five different women, totaling $13 million.

Shortly after the disclosure of additional and more recent sexual harassment allegations, advertisers severed their affiliation with “The O’Reilly Factor” show and Fox News headquarters were picketed.

This time, Fox was quick to respond.

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” said 21st Century Fox.

However, O’Reilly said that the claims are unfounded and that his departure is disheartening. “…that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today,” O’Reilly concluded.

Advertisements