LOS ANGELES (AP) — Charlie Sheen’s lawyer urged a judge to reject a request by the actor’s ex-fiancée to extend a temporary restraining order, calling the filing a publicity stunt intended to keep an unrelated civil case in the news.
Sheen’s attorney, Martin D. Singer, wrote in a court filing Monday that Sheen has not had any contact with his ex, Scottine Ross, in more than a year. Ross has sued Sheen alleging he failed to tell her he was HIV-positive before they had sex, but the case has been moved to private arbitration.
Ross obtained a temporary restraining order earlier this month based on alleged threats the actor made toward her in a recording obtained by celebrity website RadarOnline.com. She also filed a police report, prompting an investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department’s stalking unit.
The order, which could be extended at a hearing Thursday, requires Sheen to refrain from contacting Ross; to stay 100 yards from her, her home, workplace and car; and to turn in any guns he may own. The order also allows Ross, who performs in adult films under the name Brett Rossi, to record any conversations she has with the actor.
“Charlie Sheen has had no contact or communication with Ross for more than a year,” Singer wrote in an opposition to Ross’ restraining order filing. “He has no intention of contacting or communicating with Ross in the future. Sheen wants nothing to do with Ross, yet she apparently cannot let go and insists upon remaining a nuisance in his life.”
Ross’ attorney, Brendan Gilbert, did not immediately return a voicemail seeking comment.
Sheen’s filing states Ross has shown no evidence the actor has threatened her and that she has not actually heard the recording RadarOnline says it obtained.
“Aside from reading a tabloid story about it, Ross does not know whether the recording actually exists, whether Sheen speaks on the recording, or what he allegedly says about Ross,” the actor’s filing states.
RadarOnline has said it was served with a warrant seeking audio that is purportedly of Sheen threatening to bury Ross, whose relationship with the actor ended in 2014. The website has said it believes the warrant is illegal.
Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.