Norfolk State University will honor five of its alumni at the 2016 Distinguished Alumni Awards Dinner scheduled for 7 p.m., Friday, May 6, in the Student Center, Room 149. These five graduates demonstrate exemplary leadership and personify the mission and goals of the University.
The honorees are:
- Darrell Whiting, Jr. (’09), a deputy branch chief for the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and a Military Intelligence Officer in the United States Army Reserves.
- Willie L. Brown (’79), chairman of the Deacon Board and member of Mount Gilead Baptist Church in Norfolk, Virginia. He is a past member of the NSU Board of Visitors and current member of the NSU Foundation Board.
- Estherine J. Harding (’74), served Norfolk State University for 32 years in Financial Aid Administration. Before her retirement, Harding was director of the Office of Financial Aid for 11 years.
- Carl W. Haywood (’71), chair of Norfolk State University’s Visual and Performing Arts Department, director of Choral Activities and professor of music. He is regarded as one of the premier choral conductors in the country.
- Marty L. Miller (’69), athletics director at Norfolk State University. He is the winningest baseball coach in CIAA history, having led the Spartans to a 584-374-3 record.
The Distinguished Alumni Awards Dinner includes a reception at 6 p.m., followed by dinner at 7. The cost is $50 per person and tickets can be purchased at www.nsu.edu/givenow. For more information, contact the NSU Office of Alumni Relations at (757) 823-8135.