ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Two separate attacks blamed on the Kurdish rebels and a clash between the militants and Turkey’s security forces have left four security personnel and one civilian dead in the southeast, officials and news reports said Wednesday.
The rebels of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, on Wednesday detonated a car bomb on a road in the town of Dargecit, in Mardin province as an armored police vehicle was passing by, the Anadolu Agency reported. The explosion killed a road-sweeper and wounded a police officer.
Three policemen were killed in a similar attack late on Tuesday when PKK militants detonated an improvised explosive device on a road near the town of Silopi, in Sirnak province, the agency reported.
On Wednesday, a soldier was killed in a clash with Kurdish militants in the town of Silvan, in Diyarbakir province, where authorities have enforced a curfew for the past nine days, the military said. Authorities declared the curfew, barring the town’s residents from leaving their homes, as security forces battle Kurdish youths linked to the PKK’s youth wing there.
Fighting between the PKK and Turkey’s security forces flared anew in July, killing hundreds of people and derailing a fragile peace process that had begun in 2012.
Last week, the PKK declared that it was resuming attacks, ending a brief cease-fire it had declared a month ago in a bid to reduce tensions before Turkey’s Nov. 1 election. It cited the government’s “policy of war” and “ongoing attacks” for the halt.
The government had rejected the cease-fire. The ruling party, which won a resounding victory in the election, has vowed to keep up the battle until the PKK disarms and fighters withdraw from Turkey.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.