JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — The regional bloc that mediated South Sudan’s peace agreement says both sides have violated the deal signed last month.
In its first report since a ceasefire took effect on August 30, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development said government forces fired on rebel positions in Upper Nile state using attack helicopters on September 2, while rebel forces attacked Nhialdiu in Unity State on August 23.
The report urged the group’s special envoys who mediated the peace talks to condemn the violations.
South Sudan military spokesman Col. Philip Aguer accused the monitors of being slow to verify violations but did not comment on their findings.
Rebel spokesman Dickson Gatluak said rebels were attacked first in Nhialdiu and accused monitors of not being on the ground.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.