Local / Virginia

4 sickened by carbon monoxide leak at Norfolk rehab center

 

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — A carbon monoxide leak at a rehabilitation center in Norfolk sent four people to the hospital.

Norfolk Fire-Rescue tells media outlets that the leak occurred Sunday at Harbour Pointe Health and Rehabilitation Center.

Crews responding to a report of an ill employee evacuated the center’s cafeteria after a carbon monoxide meter attached to a medic’s bag went off in the kitchen.

The source of the leak was some plumbing in the kitchen.

Air samples taken by firefighters showed carbon monoxide levels reached 300 parts per million on the first floor. Levels dropped to zero about 30 minutes after the gas was turned off and the building was ventilated.

Four people went to a hospital for evaluation.

 

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.