Featured / Sports

Tiger Woods taking a break

 

Tiger Woods loads his car after withdrawing in the first round of the Farmers Insurance Open golf tournament Thursday, Feb. 5, 2015, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

Tiger Woods loads his car after withdrawing in the first round of the Farmers Insurance Open golf tournament Thursday, Feb. 5, 2015, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

by Shareen Nicholson

On Wednesday, Feb 11, Tiger Woods announced that he would be taking a leave of absence from the PGA Tour. This comes after Woods complained of his back hurting and removed himself from the Farmers Insurance Open last week. He was already scheduled to take off a couple of weeks before the Honda Classic on Feb. 26, depending on how his back was feeling.

“Right now, I need a lot of work on my game, and to still spend time with the people that are important to me,” Woods said. “My play and scores are not acceptable for tournament golf. I enter a tournament to compete at the highest level and, when I think I’m ready, I’ll be back. Next week I will practice at Medalist and at home getting ready for the rest of the year. I am committed to getting back to the pinnacle of my game. I’d like to play the Honda Classic — it’s a tournament in my hometown and it’s important to me — but I won’t be there unless my game is tournament-ready. That’s not fair to anyone.”

Woods has been struggling to make a comeback since he suffered another back injury in December. Just last week, after 11 holes at Torrey Pines, he walked off the field after explaining that his back had tightened up.

“The last two weeks have been very disappointing to me, especially Torrey, because I never want to withdraw,” Woods said on his website. “Unfortunately, lately injuries have made that happen too often.”

He has been missing games for the last couple of years due to separate injuries. Just last year he missed most of the 2014 season with back issues.

Woods is scheduled to begin playing again during the Honda Classic on Feb. 26.